WHO WE ARE: OUR HISTORY
During our 60 years as an integral part of the Baltimore community, we’ve grown to become one of the area’s most dynamic and well-respected Conservative congregations. Honoring our founders – who sought to create warm, welcoming atmosphere as well as embracing modern changes – Beth Israel educates, enlightens, and brings our community together.
In 1956, just 10 families met to share their dream of forming a new synagogue. Our first home was a cottage on 10 acres of land in Randallstown. In 1957, our congregation became affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Our congregation grew rapidly through the next few decades, as many in our community called Beth Israel their spiritual home.
On October 30, 1994 as Beth Israel began a new chapter in its history as we moved to a new home in Owings Mills (pictured above). Located on Mitzvah Lane in the beautiful Macks Fidler Synagogue Center on the Ted Schweitzer Campus, Beth Israel is home to The Joseph and Corinne Schwartz Preschool and Religious School.
It is an exciting time to be a part of Beth Israel Congregation as we embrace the lessons of the past to chart a course for an exciting future.